Some scary moments at a Drumheller Motel on Sunday, July 9 as guests and staff were evacuated after an alarm went off.
 
As reported on Sunday evening on DrumhellerOnline.com, it happened around 7:30 p.m. at the Super 8 next to the Drumheller McDonald's.
 
"It was a heat detector in the Mechanical Room, it got too hot in the Mechanical Room and tripped the heat detector," explained Drumheller Fire Chief Bruce Wade. "It was basically a false alarm, we reset the system and everything was good."
 
"They did evacuate the building and we responded and found a heat detector had tripped," he elaborated. "In that 30-plus weather, and the door on the Mechanical Room faced west, so it got pretty warm in the room and it did the job."
 
While people were evacuated from the motel, including the swimming pool, no-one was hurt and everyone was allowed back inside once the all clear was given.
 
"It sometimes happens," admitted Wade. "The furnace that they had in there had a bearing problem, so they shut the furnace off and there was no air circulating."
 

More Local News

Mayor Impressed with 20/20 Challenge Response

Mayor Heather Colberg issued a challenge to the residents of Drumheller at the beginning of April, and the community showed up for it. The 20/20 Challenge encouraged Drumhellians to pick up garbage…

DrumhellerOnline.com is Drumheller's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login