Update, 2:28 p.m. No-one was hurt, but a historic old church in East Coulee is probably a write-off after a fire in the community Friday.
"A gentleman was clearing up a yard with a tiger torch, burning some grass and dandelions," explained Drumheller Fire Chief Bruce Wade. "It ignited some of the siding and this old church is full of everything, gas cans, propane tanks, all kinds of stuff, so it just fueled the fire and away it went."
The church is the old Bethel United Church at 276-2 Avenue in East Coulee, which is privately owned and was being used for storage.
"We responded with East Coulee's truck, our crash truck and our Unit One and our tank truck from Drum, along with the two trucks from East Coulee, about 12-14 members and had it out and under control within 20 minutes," Wade reported.
He said the building was badly damaged and will probably have to be torn down, but that decision is up to the owner.
"We had a truck on fire watch for a while (and) there was some smouldering that came back this (Sat.) morning," he told Drum FM. "(They) put out what was smouldering and it's complete; I think I'm going to turn it back over to the property owner."