With technology rapidly evolving and becoming more quickly manufactured, outfitting your home to decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning has never been easier.
Spending a few hundred dollars at your local hardware store could be the right decision in detecting this odorless, tasteless and all around invisible substance that had no signs of warning until now.
Another positive of outfitting your home with carbon monoxide detectors, is that you can be ready, in the future, to cover yourself when it comes to life insurance claims.
To be absolutely clear, right now, the Province of Alberta has not made it the law to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, but many inquires have been filed to make it a law in Alberta, in interest of protection.
Insurance companies as well have only began in-taking data about carbon monoxide detectors in the recent years.
Roger Stevenson, owner of The Co-operators in Beiseker, Three Hills and Drumheller says, "the home insurance industry is asking more and more questions, so we ask if you have one. At this point we are gathering data on [carbon monoxide detectors]."
Drumheller Fire Chief Bruce Wade advises, "there should be a [carbon monoxide detector] on every level of the house. Carbon Monoxide is equal to air so it doesn't have to be near a roof or low. It can be located anywhere."
Carbon monoxide is produced from burning coal, oil or natural gas.
Wade says, "if the carbon monoxide detector does go off, it doesn't mean that you have to leave the area immediately but it is something that when they do go off, you should contact the fire department. From there it can be evaluated and we will respond with more delicate detectors."
Being prepared for carbon monoxide is a smart idea. You can't see it. You can't smell it. You can't taste it. It's an invisible killer.